Nevada County Images-Josh Miller Photography
The 7 reasons I love living in Nevada County, By Josh Miller
I’d like to welcome a special guests to the Outside Inn’s blog, Josh Miller, a local photography whose work I have long admired. After his photo graced the cover of Nevada County Gold this spring I contacted him about sharing some of his favorite local images. Without further adieu, here are Josh’s top reasons why he loves living in Nevada County.
While much of my work takes me out of the county and often out of the country, every time I spend time around home with a camera I am reminded of why I love living in historic gold country. Here are 7 reasons why I love living here as a professional outdoor photographer.
1. Easy access to either side of the Sierra crest no matter the season allows me to shoot in Yosemite, Tahoe, and the Eastern Sierra year round.
2. Within Nevada County the outdoor recreation opportunities range from amazing mountain biking to world class skiing and hiking.
3. The Yuba River offers a great place to get away from the heat and gives me endless photographic material.
4. By living in Grass Valley I am close enough to the snow to enjoy skiing and winter photography without having to shovel my driveway. Don’t forget the amazing Peter Grubb Hut!
5. Spenceville Wildlife Refuge offers an endless supply of photogenic old oak trees and pastoral scenes, as well as great trails to explore.
6. Living in Nevada County means an endless list of community events ranging from bike races to the Wild and Scenic Film Festival (the largest environmental film fest in the country).
7. The entire county is a lesson in California State mining history, and offers endless photography of historic buildings and mining history.
Josh’s upcoming workshops include… More information is available on his website.
Lake Tahoe in Fall October 2013
Fall in Nevada City November 2013
Bald Eagles of Alaska November 2013
Josh Miller is a photographer, writer, and science teacher based in Nevada County, California. In his professional life, Josh has worn many hats, including naturalist, outdoor guide, and environmental educator. His abilities as a naturalist and photographer are often called upon by non-profit environmental organizations to promote public awareness for their causes. Josh teaches photographic workshops throughout North and Central America. His award-winning photographs are in many private collections and regularly appear in publications throughout North America including National Geographic, Audubon, and Backpacker Magazine.
© 2013 InnSide Nevada City, all images © Josh Miller Photography