For this week’s blog post, I want to give a shout out to those who will be celebrating Mother’s Day this coming weekend. While I recognize we’re probably not going to doing the “normal” things, there are still ways to honor the moms in this world. Here are 10 ideas to celebrate Mother’s Day in Nevada City in light of the COVID-19 shut downs.
- Send a homemade card.
- Buy a plant from HEX, or order flowers from one of the local farms (Sweet Roots Farm, Ash + Oak, Foothill Flowers or a CSA from Little Boy Flowers or Soil Sisters Farm).
- Stock up on some self care goodies.
- Support local merchants; here are links to a few local shops that now have online shops: Yuba Blue, Kitkitdizzi, Lola and Jack, Gather & Mill, Element & Loft, The Olive Groove, The Sun Room, The Book Seller, Mama Madrone’s, Two Little Birds Boutique, Make Local Habit or My Favorite Things, to name a few.
- Order take out. Lefty’s has a special Mother’s Day Brunch menu, or check out this great website with a round up of local restaurants offering take out. Or maybe buy an artisans cutting board from Inspire Woodworks and stock it with cheese from Wheyward Girl Creamery.
- Check out the local bars & wineries that are offering curb side pick up (Golden Era, Szabo Vineyards, Sierra Starr, Nevada City Winery or Lucchesi Vineyards).
- Get take out ice cream from Treats in downtown Nevada City or try some of Emily’s Catering Pop-Up-Shop sweets.
- Take a family walk and appreciate the spring blooms.
- Book a future adventure at either the Outside Inn or the Inn Town Campground or buy a gift certificate.
- Tell someone you love ’em, whether it’s your mother, your friend who’s a mom or someone who’s remembering a mother.
Finally, thank you Roseann Bath Photography for capturing my family in honor of her Motherhood Behind Glass series. What a refreshing way to see Nevada City through the eyes of the COVID-19 pandemic. The weather’s turning more beautiful by the day, that’s one thing that’s looking up! Be well, be safe.
Photos by Roseann Bath Photography