I love spring, while I say that about every season (so many things to do in the summer, fall and winter in our community), one of the things I love about this time of year are the flowers everywhere you turn. So if you’re a flower happy person here are a few ideas on ways to get out and “smell the roses.” And hopefully we’ll get a few more sunny days!
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower hikes are every Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11am down at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there now is the time of the year to go. Click here, here, here and here for previous Outside Inn blog posts with more photos. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory.
- Sit under the cherry tree at Ike’s Quarter Cafe
- Check out the tulips at the Crystal Hermitage Gardens at Ananda. Open every day in April, the gardens showcase over 17,000 tulips.
- Take a walk around the grounds at Empire Mine State Historic Park, mark your calendar for the Spring event Saturday, May 11th.
- Mother’s Day Plant Sale at the Miners Foundry, May 12th
- Soropotimist International Garden Tour is coming May 18th and 19th, 10am-4pm, rain or shine.
- Go for a hike with Folk Trails Hiking Club, 2nd Thursdays, next meet up is April 11th, 4:00pm, meet at the Outside Inn
- Want flowers every week, but don’t want to grow them? Sign up for a flower CSA, Soil Sisters and Mountain Bounty Farm offer weekly flowers in the summer season.
- Check out the dogwoods around downtown Nevada City
- Daffodil Run in Penn Valley, Sunday, April 7th
- I’m excited to share that Kial James of Nevada City Scenics, and I are organizing another photo walk. Come join us at Inn Town Campground, Sunday, May 19th, 3pm. The meet up is free, anyone is welcome.
And for those of you looking for ideas on things to do every week, check out my local events page. Plus, follow along with Visit Nevada City’s Instagram feed to see what others are up to in our community. And the other reason I love spring is that it’s a great time to go camping! Check out the Inn Town Campground to help inspire your outdoor adventure.
© 2019 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem