I love spring, while I say that about every season (so many things to do in the summer, fall and winter in our community), one of the things I love about this time of year are the flowers everywhere you turn. So if you’re a flower happy person here are a few ideas on ways to get out and “smell the roses.”
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower hikes are every Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11am down at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there now is the time of the year to go. Click here, here, here and here for previous Outside Inn blog posts with more photos. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory.
- Sit under the cherry tree at Ike’s Quarter Cafe
- Check out the tulips at the Crystal Hermitage Gardens at Ananda. Open every day in April, the gardens showcase over 13,000 tulips.
- Take a walk around the grounds at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Mother’s Day Plant Sale at the Miners Foundry, May 13th
- Soropotimist International Garden Tour is coming May 19th and 20th, 10am-4pm, rain or shine. Click here, here or here for photos from previous years.
- Go for a hike with Folk Trails Hiking Club, 2nd Thursdays, next meet up is April 12th, 4:30pm, meet at the Outside Inn.
- Take a workshop at Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply
- Want flowers every week, but don’t want to grow them? Sign up for a flower CSA, Soil Sisters and Mountain Bounty Farm offer weekly flowers in the summer season.
- Check out the dogwoods around downtown Nevada City
- Daffodil Run in Penn Valley, Sunday, April 8th
- I’m excited to share that Kial James of Nevada City Scenics, and I are organizing another photo walk. Come join us at Malakoff Diggins, Sunday, April 22nd, 10am for Earth Day. The meet up is free, anyone is welcome, but please remember there is a $5 parking fee and carpooling is recommended. (Click here, here, here and here for photos from previous meet ups).
And for those of you looking for ideas on things to do every week, check out my local events page. Plus, follow along with Visit Nevada City’s Instagram feed to see what others are up to in our community. And the other reason I love spring is that it’s a great time to go camping! Check out the Inn Town Campground to help inspire your outdoor adventure.
© 2018 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem and Cathy Stewart Photography