Summer vacation is days away and Nevada City offers so many great activities for things to do for kids. So regardless of what your family likes to do, here’s a list of all sorts of ideas of things to do. And scroll down to the bottom for our great kid-centric giveaway!
Things to do with Kids:
- Visit 49er Fun Park and play mini golf, go karts, batting cages or the arcades.
- Summer Movies at the Del Oro for kids or the family friendly outdoor screening of Movies Under the Pines : Beetlejuice (June 17) , Stand By Me (July 7), Wall-E (July 22),Vertigo (August 12) and The Big Lebowski (August 26) organized by the Nevada City Film Festival
- Take a tour of the mine at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Visit the Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum and check out the new Railbus train ride.
- Check out the Points of Historical Interest walking tour map of Nevada City, the tree tour or garden tour
- Grab an ice cream cone at Treats
- Food Love Project U Picks veggies (6/23-10/27 from 4:30-6:30) or Riverhill Farm U Pick berries
- Go geo-caching
- Check out the local library reading programs and activities, mark your calendars for next week’s Musical Monday launch, click here for a calendar of all their summer reason events.
- Paddle Boarding on Scotts Flat Lake
- A few great South Yuba River swimming holes: Mountain Dog Swimming Hole, Edwards Crossing, Purdons Crossing, Hoyt’s Crossing, Mothers Beach, 49 Crossing. The most accessible for small children is definitely Bridgeport. Please note that the South Yuba River is still too high for swimming, so please make sure to check water levels before you take your family to the river.
- Pioneer Park Pool or Memorial Park Pool
- Go for a swim in one of the local lakes
- Take a guided fishing trip with Reel Angler’s Fly Shop
- White Water Rafting with H20 Adventures
Great kid friendly hikes include: Independence Trail, Buttermilk Bend and Deer Creek Tribute Trail. Or take the kids for a mountain bike ride at Hirschman Pond. Or maybe you and your family want to try the Bear Yuba Land Trust Twilight Bat Walk with Sarah Perrin, kids under 12 are free.
Perhaps you’re looking for a summer camp, there are still lots of great programs happening, click here for a post from earlier this spring on the Summer Camp Fair, still time to check out the Food Love Project day camps, Live Sound Camp for Girls, Mud Hut Art classes, Fox Walkers or The Center for Arts programs. Perhaps you want to be creative, try stopping by The Artist Workshop, either for a class or their drop in open session and leave with a new art project.
There are a lot of great kid friendly events during the summer season: Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival (June 15 – 18), California WorldFest: July 13 – 16, The Children’s Festival (Friday, July 21st), The Sierra Storytelling Festival (July 21-23rd) or the Nevada County Fair (August 9-13th). The Miners Picnic at Empire Mine (August 26th), a family picnic, gold mining demonstrations, live music and games.
Otherwise take your kids to one of the many local farmers markets, First Friday Art Walks (July 7th and August 4th) or Nevada City Summer Nights (July 12th, 19th and 26th). Perhaps you want to get tickets for the PAG performance of Cinderella ? Don’t forget the free Nevada County Concert Band concerts at Pioneer Park, it’s a great free family friendly outing (June 25th, July 23rd and August 27th).
And since we’re obviously huge fans of the Inn Town Campground, we think you should come camping, book a staycation, if you join us on a weekend you can join the outdoor movie screening, the outdoor themed kid craft project and jump in the pool!
And if you’ve made it this far, I’ve got tons of giveaways to help get you into the spirit of summer. Post a comment on your favorite summer activity and throw your name into the hat for $350 worth of local prizes. Summer Kid Activities Giveaway: 2 movie passes to the Del Oro Children’s movie screenings (worth $20), $10 gift certificate to Treats, a family pack of tickets to the Nevada County Fair (2 adults and 2 children’s admission tickets), $5 gift certificate to Riverhill Farm Upick, 4 tickets to The Children’s Festival at Pioneer Park, 4 tickets to the Movies Under the Pines outdoor movie screening, Family Pass to Music in the Mountains Patriotic Pops, 4 tickets to the Sunday’s Sierra Storytelling Festival including the Children’s Concert, a sampler pack to 49er Fun Park, $15 gift certificate to The Artist Workshop paint your own pottery and SUP rental gift certificate from Mountain Recreation. And last, but definitely not least, a free night of camping at the Inn Town Campground ($50 value). Winners will be announced on Wednesday, June 14th.
*Edited to say the winners are: Freida, Jill Sheley, Sarah Herbert, Morgan Rains, Stephenie LaRocque, Sandie Smith, Beth Baker , Michelle Stroud, Maria Afable, Elizabeth Eelkema, Crystal and Vanessa.
© 2017 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem and Lenkaland Photography