The Nevada County Fair is right around the corner with 5 days full of rides, exhibits, demonstrations, arts & crafts, animals, music and so much more. The fair runs from Wednesday, August 7th through Sunday, August 11th at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, gates open at 10am on Wednesday with activities and fun for the whole family. Check out the daily fair schedule, special contests, entertainment guide, Flying U Extreme Rodeo, Monster Truck and Demolition Derby. New this year includes: White water flume ride (log ride!), Megan the Bubbleologist, Family Farm (fun area to learn about local agriculture), Giant Yard Games, Motocross Madness and Night of Fire Thrill Show.
Entertainment this year includes Elevation Funk Band featuring J. Silk, David Perez Band, Mogollon, Star People, Amanda Gray, Petty Luv, Chris Crockett to name a few. In addition to the rides, music and events are the barns full of livestock, games and buildings full of exhibits (7,500 this year). Or maybe you want to try one of the Special Events? This year’s contents include: Jell-O Eating Contest, Squash Mobile Racing, Frozen Shirt Challenge (be the first to thaw a frozen shirt and get it on) and Watermelon Eating Challenge. There are lots of great local organizations selling food to help raise funds for their programs year round (last year Treat Street raised over $900,000 for local non-profit organizations). With 31 different booths on Treat Street do you choose the same thing every year or mix it up? Did you know the Job’s Daughter Corn Dog booth sells between 15,000 – 19,000 corn dogs every year at the Fair? Or that Grass Valley Host Lions Club serves approximately 16,000 ears of corn over the course of the whole fair.
Special promotions each day of the Fair:
- Wednesday: Scholar Students Day, Free admission for Nevada County Honor Roll students until 5 pm
- Thursday: Community Day $3 admission all day for adults and children (free to children 5 and under), Free admission for disabled persons (and a chaperone for those who require assistance) until 5 pm
- Friday: Family Friday, Free parking in Fair lots until noon. One free carnival ride coupon for first 500 guests
- Saturday: Military Appreciation Day, Free admission for active and retired military (who show ID) until 5 pm
- Sunday: Sunday Funday, Free admission for children 12 and under until 5 pm
If you’re worried about parking, don’t forget you can take the Gold Country Stage to the fair, click here for details and times. While you can save time and buy your tickets online, post a comment here and one lucky InnSide Nevada City blog reader will win a giveaway including four admission tickets, a one day parking ticket and a few rides. Winner will be announced on Monday, August 5th. **Edited to say the winner is Leia.
© 2019 InnSide Nevada City, Photos by Lenkaland Photography