I love spring, while I say that about every season (so many things to do in the summer, fall and winter in our community), one of the things I love about this time of year are the flowers everywhere you turn. So if you’re a flower happy person here are a few ideas on ways to get out and “smell the roses.” And hopefully we’ll get a few more sunny days! Yes, it will probably snow next week, I know.
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower down at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there now is the time of the year to go. Click here, here, here and here for previous Outside Inn blog posts with more photos. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory.
- Sit under the cherry tree at Ike’s Quarter Cafe.
- Take a walk around the grounds at Empire Mine State Historic Park.
- Mother’s Day Plant Sale at the Miners Foundry, May 9th is a great option to grow your own.
- Check out one of the local nurseries and learn more about planting your garden (Peaceful Valley has a great video on your March Gardening Checklist).
- Go for a hike- a few of our local favorites are Deer Creek Tribute Trail and Hirschman Trail.
- Want flowers every week, but don’t want to grow them? Sign up for a flower CSA, Soil Sisters and Mountain Bounty Farm offer weekly flowers in the summer season.
- Check out the dogwoods around downtown Nevada City.
- Support local farmers at the Nevada City Farmers Market.
- Daffodil Run in Penn Valley is virtual, join the fun and celebrate spring.
And for those of you looking for ideas on things to do check out the Visit Nevada City’s Instagram feed to see our community through the eyes of others. And the other reason I love spring is that it’s a great time to go camping! Check out the Inn Town Campground to help inspire your outdoor adventure, spring is a great time to dust off the camping gear and head outside before it gets too hot. We’d love to see you at the Outside Inn, whether you’re stopping by the local free veggie cart or a guest for the night… sending out a big virtual hug to all our Nevada City fans.
© 2021 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem