Summer vacation is in full swing and Nevada City offers so many great activities for things to do for kids. So regardless of what your family likes to do, here’s a list of all sorts of ideas of things to do. And scroll down to the bottom for my great kid-centric giveaway!
Things to with Kids:
- Visit 49er Fun Park and play mini golf and ride the go carts
- Summer Movies at the Del Oro for kids or the outdoor screening of ET at Pioneer Park as part of the warm up for the Nevada City Film Festival
- Take a tour of the mine at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Visit the Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Check out the Points of Historical Interest walking tour map of Nevada City or the tree tour
- Grab an ice cream cone at Treats
- Go geo-caching
- Check out the local library reading programs and activities
- Paddle Boarding on Scotts Flat Lake
- A few great South Yuba River swimming holes: Mountain Dog Swimming Hole, Edwards Crossing, Purdons Crossing, Hoyt’s Crossing, Mothers Beach, 49 Crossing. The most accessible for small children is definitely Bridgeport.
- Kayaking on Lower Scotts Flat Lake
- Pioneer Park Pool or Memorial Park Pool
- Great kid friendly hikes include: Independence Trail, Buttermilk Bend and Deer Creek Tribute Trail.
- Take the kids for a mountain bike ride at Hirschman Pond or join the Tour of Nevada City Youth Mountain Bike rides (age 8-11).
Jason Auld, owner of Mountain Recreation, loves taking his 3 kids outdoors during the summer season, “We love hiking, backpacking and camping in our vintage trailer. ” Mountain Rec has clothing, camping gear, swimwear, camping gear and can help “gear up the family.” If you’re interested in getting in the water at Scotts Flat Lake they offer kayak and SUP rentals, either from the shop in Grass Valley or out at the Day Use area by the campground on weekends. Click here for information about their rental programs. And if you want to try out the SUP, join the Wednesday evening races, free stand up paddle board available, races are open to all ages and abilities, so grab the family and have a picnic dinner by the lake, here’s a blog post from last year.
Perhaps you’re looking for a summer camp, there are still lots of great programs happening, click here for a post from earlier this spring on the Summer Camp Fair, still time to check out the Food Love Project day camps, Mud Hut Art classes, Fox Walkers, Backstitch Sewing classes or The Center for Arts programs. Perhaps you want to be creative, try stopping by The Artist Workshop, either for a class or their drop in open session and leave with a new art project. Maybe you want to learn a specific new skill, like a kid’s cooking class at Briar Patch Co-op?
There are a lot of great kid friendly events during the summer season, whether its The Children’s Festival (Friday, July 18th), The Sierra Storytelling Festival (July 18-20) or the Nevada County Fair (August 6-10). Otherwise take your kids to one of the many local farmers markets, First Friday Art Walks or Nevada City Summer Nights. Perhaps you want to get tickets for the PAG performance of Alice in Wonderland or Quest Theaterworks’s for The Secret Garden? Don’t forget the free Nevada County Concert Band concerts at Pioneer Park, great family friendly outing.
And if you’ve made it this far, I’ve got a special treat for one lucky kid. Post a comment on your favorite summer activity and one family will be 2 free movie passes to the Del Oro Children’s movie screenings, a free go-cart and mini golf at 49er fun park, a $15 gift certificate to The Artist Workshop and a free 2 hour kayak or SUP rental from Mountain Rec. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, July 9th.